Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The rights of an employee regarding emergency leave as per the UAE Labour Law


I have been working in a company for more than two years. Six months back, I had an emergency leave for 20 days. My father was sick and I went to see him. Now I’m applying for annual leave for 30 days and my company refuses to grant my request and they are allowing me to go for 10 days only. According to their explanation I can’t take annual vacation for more than 10 days because I just had an emergency leave for 20 days and that leave was deducted from my annual leave. I want to know what the rights of the employee are regarding emergency leave as per the Labour Law. Please advice.

I would like to clarify to the questioner that as per the Federal Labour Law no. 8 for 1980, there is no emergency leave and the same is subject to the consent of the employer as well as the system applicable in the company. Besides, the employer is not obliged by law to grant such leaves.

- Questions answered by Advocate Mohammad Ebrahim Al Shaiba of Al Shaiba Advocates and Legal Consultants

No comments: